Ulster A 32 Cardiff Blues A 5

Ulster A 32 Cardiff Blues A 5

Ulster A made it a maximum 10 points from their opening two games in their Celtic Cup by beating Cardiff A at Gibson Park on Saturday night.

Kieran Campbell’s side outscored the Welsh visitors by four tries to one in an emphatic victory.

The home side had the first chance when from a line out thrown over the top No8 Azur Allison when on a charge deep into Cardiff territory but after a few phases the visitors were able to force a turnover.

Ulster continued to dominate territory and possession and were finally rewarded when lock Jack Regan forced a penalty in the opposition 22 are a good carry and out half Bruce Houston slotted over the resulting kick.

Ulster got the game’s opening try, from a defensive line out in their own 22 Cardiff were forced to carry the ball over the own try line giving home side an attacking five metre scrum, from the set piece Nathan Doak hit centre Ross Adair on the crash ball to power over from close range but Houston was unable to convert.

Allison was sin binned on 22 minutes for a dangerous tackle and despite there numerical disadvantage Ulster increased their lead with Houston’s second penalty.

Cardiff finished the half strongly but couldn’t breach a well drilled home defence and Ulster went into the interval with a 11-0 lead.

Ulster struck with their second try five minutes after the restart. Houston started the move by taking a high ball in defence and set off on a counter attack, prop Peter Cooper carried close to the line, the ball was worked through a couple of phases before Allison barged over from close range with Houston adding the conversion.

Ulster cut open the Cardiff defence on 55 minutes to score their third try. Centre Hayden Hyde made a darting break carrying deep into opposition territory, he offloaded to Doak and the scrum half put full back Conor Rankin clear to go over unopposed with Houston converting.

The home side sealed their bonus point with a fourth on 70 minutes, captain David McCann was prominent in the move with two big carries as the forwards rumbled close to the line, Houston showed great hands to put Hyde over from close range with the out half converting.

Cardiff got a late consolation try when winger Dale Stuckey had enough pace to collect his own rubber kick and slide over but replacement Rhys Davies failed to convert.

Ulster A Team:

(15-9): Conor Rankin, Ethan McIlroy, Ross Adair, Hayden Hyde, Graham Curtis, Bruce Houston, Nathan Doak;

(1-8): Callum Reid, Tom Stewart, Peter Cooper, Matthew Dalton, Jack Regan, Joe Dunleavy, David McCann (Capt), Azur Allison.

Replacements: Claytan Milligan, Paul Mullen, Jonny Blair, JJ McKee, Matthew Agnew, Aaron Hall, Lewis Finlay, Greg Hutley.

Cardiff Blues A Team:

(15-9): Ioan Davies, Dafydd Smith, Barney Nightingale, Sam Beard (Capt), Dale Stuckey, Gareth Thompson, Jamie Hill;

(1-8): Huw Owen, Evan Yardley, Will Davies-King, James Ratti, Callum Bradbury, Sean Moore, Nathan Hudd, Morgan Allen.

Replacements: Cameron Lewis, Ben Stephens, Ben Warren, Paddy McBride, Alex Everett, James Soanes, Rhys Davies, Alex Knott.